Wednesday, February 27, 2013

2013 RnR New Orleans - Race Recap Part II

Sunday,  February 24th - Race Day



We woke up at 6:00 a.m and headed to the starting line, just a few blocks from our conveniently located hotel.  Our friend Greg was already at the VIP tent talking to his favorite runners, Olympians Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan. What a lucky guy!  He also hung out with Gold Medalist Mo Farah the day before the race.  No words! We met Greg and a couple of blogger friends & running celebrities before walking to our corral.

George Melichar, ambassador of the RnR Series.
With my blogger friend Monica Olivas from  Run Eat Repeat


The race started at 7:00 a.m after Pearl Jam's guitarist Mike McCready performed an unusual version of the national anthem to a crowd of 16,000 runners. I was excited to run next to my husband. He was wearing our GoPro 2 camera on his forehead to document the event. The first mile was a slow one. I couldn't pace myself as it was packed.  I was probably running 10 min/mile. I couldn't tell since my Garmin couldn't locate the satellites until after about the mile 1 marker.


From mile 2-7,  we ran on St. Charles Ave and the beautiful Garden District with its well-preserved collection of charming southern mansions.  At mile 2, I saw Mo Farah running  flying the opposite direction. The crowd went wild. At mile 4, we passed Loyola University and circled back on to St Charles Ave going the other direction. There was amazing entertainment along the course including good jazz bands, rock bands and people dressed up in all kinds of costumes with their motivational posters. If you run in New Orleans, leave your iPod behind.

From the Garden District, we headed to the French Quarter via Peter St. and Decatur St. We were running parallel to the Mississippi river. We passed Jackson Square where I learned the day before that there is indeed a museum, in NOLA, dedicated to "Los Isleños".  This was very surprising to me. I knew that Spanish colonist came to Louisiana to populate the state and halt British colonial expansion. What I didn't know is that they were from the Canary Islands, my hometown. If interested, you can read more about it here

Giant Brooks RnR dude
Few minutes later, we passed the famous French Market or the oldest public market in the country. We made a left turn on Esplanade Ave, another historic street with beautiful mansions, townhouses, and a classic New Orleans cemetery. This is where French Impressionist Edgar Degas lived in 1873. 



We ran on Esplanade Ave. for the last 3 miles. The roads were in bad conditions and I almost twisted my ankle several times so I decided to take it easy the rest of the race. I must say, though, that the amazing views compensated for the poor state of the roads. Some of the properties were breathtaking. The other thing I really like about this last stretch is that we could see the mile markers on the horizon, up to a mile away.  I arrived at the Roosevelt Mall Drive soon after. Finishing in 2:17, one of my slowest times in the last 2 years. Still, not bad considering all the partying going on the day before :) See RnR NOLA - Part 1




Post-race eating options for the runners. Yumm, I should have brought some cash! 



After finishing this race, we had to walk at least 1.5 miles to take the shuttle back to the city. I didn't realize that we were that far from the starting line. I am glad I downgraded to the half marathon because I wouldn't have made it back to the airport in time. 


Overall, I really enjoyed this race. You can definitely set a PR on this fast and flat course ... as long as you don't spend too much time on Bourbon Street the day before ;)

6 comments:

  1. Enhorabuena, sigues engordando tu curriculum de carreras. Turismo y carreras es una excelente combinación.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Gonzalo! Esta carrera te gustaria ya que existe una comunidad muy grande de canarios en Nueva Orleans. Menuda sorpresa. Hasta tenemos museo dedicado a las Islas Canarias.

      Delete
  2. El colgador de medallas se te ha quedado chico ya, que marcha llevas Ciry !!!! No te pierdes una.Me encanta como vives las carreras.
    San Diego, en Junio ??? Uff no creo, con Nashville en Abril, ya tengo suficiente antes del verano. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Tomás! Yo casi me apunto a la de Nashville pero al final me voy a San Francisco que me queda a media hora. No se, de abril a junio te da tiempo. Animate!

      Delete
  3. Veo que donde ahi fiesta tu estar cerca... eso si corriendo como una campeona!!! sigue asi que transmites ilusion a todo aquel que te lee, un besote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias abuelo runner! Estoy loca por correr en Barcelona, a ver si me organizo para el 2014 o 2015. Acabo de ver fotos de una correra de Nike en Barcelona de lo mas interesante. Iban todos vestidos de fosforito.

      Delete