To run the Nike Women's Marathon you either need to win the lottery or join a charity group. I didn't do either. I got lucky! On January 8th, I ran the Nike+ Virtual Half Marathon with Team Victorius. A few week later, Nike made this announcement:
"Thousands of women came together as one this past weekend for the Nike+ Women's Half Marathon. Over 75 teams were formed, and one came out ... VICTORIUS. Over 1000 women joined this team, and for that they'll be rewarded! Welcome to NWM SF 2012. That's right. NO lottery"
No lottery! Yahoooo! Fast forward 9 months.
Saturday, October 13th
We left San Diego at 6:20am and arrived in San Francisco at 8:00am. From the airport, we took the BART train which left us in Powell Street, a few blocks from our hotel. We were also very close to Union Square where the Expotique was held. We left our luggage at the hotel and ran to the expo to pick up our race packets.
![]() |
| Nike Women's Marathon's Beautique |
We walked around looking for the official 2012 NWM merchandise, but we couldn't find any. Later on, we realized that this was available across the street at Niketown.
![]() |
| The Niketown wall shows the name of every participating in the race |
![]() |
| 25,000 runners. We found our names! |
![]() |
| Tiffany colored Nike shoes, available exclusively at Niketown |
From there, we took a taxi cab to Ghirardelli's square to continue the pre-race carb-loading at San Francisco's finest ice cream & chocolaterie. Yum!
Sunday, October 14th - Race Day
We woke up at 5:15am and met some friends from the Embrace The Crazy running group in the hotel lobby. We had a small breakfast ( bananas with almond butter and coconut water). We took a couple of group pictures and walked to Union Square, just a few blocks away. We had over an hour to kill before race started. No problem. Time to take more pictures and videos.
![]() |
| From San Francisco with Love. |
Here I am practicing Japanese while May is working on her Spanish :)
We headed to our corral around 6:30am. We were a large crowd. 25,000 runners, most of them women.
This is what we call in Spanish "marcha" or "party time".
At 7:00am the gun went off. We were in the second corral, it took us just a minute or less to cross the starting line. It was very crowded and I couldn't pace myself too well. The first mile was a nice downhill sprint. As we were passing the Embarcadero, running along the Piers, I kept thinking that just 24 hours before we walked the same route on reverse (from Ghirardelli's Square to Union Square) but it took us 2 hours. Soon we arrived at the Fisherman's Warf and the first two hills of the course around Ghirardeli's Square.
My friend May and I were running side by side but we lost each other around mile 3. Then I saw this guy holding a funny poster. Just in case you haven't heard, the Republican Vice Presidential Nominee, Paul Ryan, claimed in a radio interview to have run a sub-3 marathon when his finishing time was actually 04:01:25. Hmmm, I don't know of any marathon runner that don't know their PR or at least an approximation. Want to know what's your real PR according to PR? Check this out.
Ok, back to the subject. There were hills at mile 6, 7... I stopped counting after mile 8. My goal this time around was to finish the race without walking the hills. I didn't care about timing. After all, I had ran a full marathon the weekend before. This was just another training run to my road to Valencia Marathon.
![]() |
| Going UP, UP, UP. |
I spent half of the race thinking "OMG, here it comes another hill" and "Come on, we are in San Francisco. What do you expect?". While my mind was busy with this internal debate, I soon realized that we were at mile 11. This is where the half marathoners and full marathoners split. Only 2 miles to go! I decided then to not look at the watch again and give it my 100%. The last 2 miles were all downhill. Perfect ending! I crossed the finished line in 2:12:30 feeling strong. Again, not bad considering I just ran the Long Beach Full Marathon 7 days before.
Few minutes later, I saw my friend May in the crowd. Good timing! We walked around, took some pictures and indulged in post-race snacks. There was a lot to choose from, including the most delicious lavender tea I have ever tried, courtesy of a company called David's Tea.
All finishers received a Tiffany necklace handed out by a San Francisco firefighter wearing a tux. What else can you ask for?
![]() |
![]() |
| The finisher's race reward. |
After the race, we took the bus shuttle back to Union Square. We had 6 hours to spare until our flight departure. We decided to get foot massages and eat authentic Vietnamese Food. Gotta love San Francisco!


















I wish I can run it someday, I'll get an age group award for sure.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure how many guys participated in this race but I saw at least 50. They all looked very lean. This would be a good race to run for you. It's all hills!!!
DeleteI found some stats.
DeleteFinishers: 4452, Males - 401 , Females - 4051
Male Winner: 2:56:32 | Female Winner: 2:59:26
Average Finish Time: 5:05:25 | STD: 0:49:39
they have guys indeed? there goes my age group award
DeleteNo se si esos Pre race Carbs, son muy ortodoxos, pero aceptare pulpo como animal de compañia. Otra a la saca, y sin perder la sonrisa. Pregunta : nunca sufres cuando corres? Un beso
ReplyDeletejajaja gracias! Claro que sufro pero la sonrisa que no me la quiten :) Ahora en serio, el 2011 fue año de lesiones, estuve 4 meses sin correr debido a un "plantar fasciitis". Fueron unos meses durisimos. Cada vez que me acuerdo de lo mal que lo pase, sonrio y doy las gracias que puedo disfrutar nuevamente. Espero poder correr hasta que cumpla 110 :)
DeleteSo jealous that you got to run NWM. It is on my bucket list. Even if it is hilly, I want that freaking necklace!
ReplyDeleteI heard other people commenting on how they thought it was weird to see people getting their hair done in the expo too. I don't think I would have waited in line for that.
Tasha, you need to run this race. It's fantastic! A little crowded and hilly but so worth it. Even it it's only for the Tiffany necklace :)
DeleteWowwwww! para que luego nos digas que se te ponen los dientes largos cuando lees nuestras crónicas! pero si os lo pasáis pipa!! a mi es la que se me ponen los dientes largos! es que no hay comparación!! qué bien os lo pasáis eh!!! qué pasada de carrera! por cierto, me encantó los dos videos, lo de tu amiga japonesa lo mejor jajajaja y ese inicio de carrera bailando y saltando vamos, creo que ni en la San Silvestre he visto algo así :-) una pasada sin duda! sigue disfrutando!!! enhorabuena por la media!!! y con las cuestas de SF! excelente tiempo!!!
ReplyDeleteA seguir disfrutando!!
bss
Tania
Muchisimas gracias Tania!!!! La verdad es que esta media estuvo genial! Para que despues digan que en los "estates" no hay marchilla!! :) Un besote!!
Deleteque carreras mas fashion hay por los usa... un beso
ReplyDeleteHola Jan! Cuanto tiempo sin saber de ti. Te deje un par de mensajitos en tu blog. Enhorabuena ultramaratonista!! A ti las maratones ya se te quedan cortas, no? Animate para la de Valencia!
DeleteGlad you had a great race! Thumbs up on having Pho after ;o)
ReplyDeleteOMG, I am so glad to hear from you! Swinging by your blog right now. Hope everything is ok.
DeleteAnother great race for you :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering how long you two were standing there looking for your names........
Gracias! About 20 minute, even though they are in alphabetic order. The print was very small!
Delete