Thursday, February 2, 2012

Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon - Part II: The race

Race Course

Pre-race

I went to bed at 11:00pm and woke up at 3:00am.


My Tinkerbell racing outfit

I picked up a shuttle from the hotel lobby at 3:45am. It left me at the entrance of the parks. I walked to Disney Downtown to the Disney Grand's Californian Hotel where I was meeting my friends from the "Embrazy the Crazy" group. On the way there, I noticed that Jamba Juice was open.


They actually opened at 3:30am for the runners. How nice! I grabbed some freshly squeezed carrot and orange juice. Ten minutes later, I was with my friends, the "crazies" at the hotel reception.


We walked together to the staging area which was located by the parking lot adjacent to Paradise Pier. We took a couple of pictures and only few minutes later they asked Corral A runners to go to the starting line. I gave hugs and good luck wishes to everyone and headed to the corral. It was just a few minutes walk. To be honest, I was really surprise to be assigned to Corral A this year.


"Corral A is for Awesome" - per announcer Rudy

We were there for 30 minutes but they went by really fast. We were greeted by Disney characters in their running outfits.


Photo Credit: Run Disney

What else can you ask for? Oh yes, after the national anthem there were fireworks.


To my friend Jen, if you are reading this. Noooo, it doesn't happen at every half marathon ;-) Only at Disney races. They know how to put on a great run. By the way, there were fireworks at the Disneyland Half Marathon as well but I didn't get to experience them this close before. I was in corral C. Check out my Disneyland Half Marathon race recap,

My strategy for this race was to take it easy and have fun. After all, my legs were hurting a little bit. Also, I remember that last time, during the Disneyland Half Marathon, I stopped a couple of times during the race to take pictures with the characters. There lines were very long. I waited 10 minutes to take a picture with Darth Vader which never took place. This time around, I would stop but only if the lines were short.

The gun went off at 5:45am. I was running at a comfortable 9:00 min/mile pace for the first mile. It was nice not seeing too many people in front of me. Well, it didn't last long :-) Also, it was nice that the route was completely different than the Disneyland Half. The first two miles were in the streets of Anaheim and the Disneyland's backstage area. Nothing special there. Then, we entered the park and looped around. This was the fun part.

I skipped the first two character greeting points, even though the lines were short. But decided to give it a try when I saw Captain Hook and Mr. Smee with nobody around. I gave my iPhone to the Disney crew. It was still dark outside and they didn't know how to use it. Hence, this beautiful picture.


But that's not all, the person that took the picture accidentally pressed some button that put my iPhone in idle mode for the rest of the race. I tried rebooting but no luck. I had no music and no Nike+. Bummer! You would have thought I learned from previous experiences, right? A phone is not a camera. OK, I told myself. My Garmin is still working. Don't worry about it. It's just 10 more miles. Have fun. At least your legs are not complaining.

We were in the Disneyland park for a few miles and then returned to the streets of Anaheim. I liked this area better than the streets surrounding the Angel Stadium. There were at least 4 cheerleading squads cheering for us.


Photo Credit: Melissa Armstrong Heinemann

They gave me a lot of energy ( I could hear music again!) before entering the park again at mile 11. Once in California Adventure, I was exhausted. I just wanted to finish. I knew I was very closed so I gave it my all. We left the park with half a mile left. The final stretch. Yippeee!

I finished in 2:11:57. It's not a PR but it's not bad, considering I was not able to run for the whole week leading up to the event and everything just went foobar at the race.

Race Stats:
Finishing time 2:11:57
Distance HALF MAR
Clock Time 2:12:06
Chip Time 2:11:57
Overall Place 1215 / 9386
Gender Place 1215 / 9386
Division Place 269 / 1799
Age Grade 51.3%
5K Split 30:16
10K Split 1:01:34
15K Split 1:33:45



At the finishing line


I met some friends at the family reunion area.


I waited for my friends, the "crazies", for 90 minutes but we didn't find each other. Oh, here they are :-) All happy faces! Congratulations to everyone, especially to Jennifer and Katie for finishing their first half marathon! Yahooo


Check out Tinkerbell Half Marathon: Part I for Expo and Tinkerbell Kid's race.

24 comments:

  1. a phone is not a camera. why it rings a tinker bell? :-)
    nice story, great to have fun running and racing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edward - You should sign up for the Goofy Challenge - a half marathon followed by a full marathon next day :-)

      Delete
  2. Great recap!! I love reading about the race from the point of view of others :) I now know that Disney does races better than anyone else!

    Congrats on your finish time! Way to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! YES, Disney know how to put on a great run! Congrats to you too.

      Delete
  3. awesome finish time! wasn't it such a fabulous run??

    are you going to do the disneyland half again this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I am going to sign up for the Disneyland Half again. It's so much fun. I can't get enough. What about you?

      Delete
  4. You look so cute!! Those leg warmers are awesome!

    Regarding your question about vegetarian restaurants in the OC. Have you already been to Native Foods? I also love eating at 118 in Costa Mesa. 118 is a raw restaurant but the food is awesome! It's restaurant week this week so go and check them out because they are one of the restaurant offering a pre-fixe menu. If you want some Asian fusion to your vegetarian then there is Au Lac in Fountain Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madison! You looked really cute too! I've been to Native Foods. Not my favorite but I'll check 118 and Au Lac. What about vegan/vegetarian restaurants in the San Diego area? Many thanks for the suggestions, btw!

      Delete
  5. Enhorabuena paisana, se te ve en la cara, tanto antes de la carrera, como después, que te has divertido de lo lindo, y además haciendo deporte. Me ha gustado mucho el disfraz, y la crónica. Efectivamente es una carrera para disfrutarla, ya tendrás tiempo de machacarte en otras. Un beso.
    Regards from The Lone Star State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Tomás! Las carreras de Disney son geniales, muy bien organizadas y con muchísimo publico. Si tienes la oportunidad, apuntate al Goofy Challenge, es todo un reto. Saludillos y buena suerte con tu entrenamiento. Ya queda menos para la RNR de Madrid.

      Delete
  6. Gracias por pasarte por mi blog!!! Veo q el tuyo tiene muy buena pinta, te sigo desde hoy y aunque esté en English así practico un poquillo q la lengua de Shakespeare la tengo algo olvidada

    un abrazo y sigue disfrutando de carreras tan divertidas como esta de Disney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pancho! Leyendo tu blog, me entró una nostalgia increíble. Como echo de menos mis islas. Aqui una 1/2 canariona, 1/2 chicharrera ( agüita, que conflicto! :) 1/2 madrilena. Sube fotos a tu blog de tus carreras, que los que estamos al otro lado del charco nos alimentamos de eso. Felicidades de nuevo! Y disfrutas de los carnavales. Aunque yo creo que los mejores son los de ... (bueno lo dejamos jajajaja)

      Delete
  7. Glad you found my blog and now I can follow you! Looks like I must have been right behind you at the finish line. Love the wings and sleeves. I stared at those sleeves on so many people! And I am bummed that I missed out on the pin at the expo, we kept looking but didn't see it, ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your outfit! I might copy it for the Disneyland Half marathon :) As for the pin, I'd send an email to run disney, you never know. I actually posted in their FB page a couple of days ago about getting a pin for last year's Disneyland Half and someone that was not able to run, sent it to me. Love the running community!

      Delete
  8. Enhorabuena Cira! Que bien lo debisteis pasar. Se ve que es una carrera donde disfrutar y divertirse. Me has dado mucha, y con solecito y menos frio del que hace por aquí, ains!. Ah y el disfraz muy chulo!

    Lo del Iphone menudo rollo. Yo soy una friki de los cacharritos electrónicos y reconozco que si me falla la música o el GPS en una carrera lo paso fatal.

    Un abrazo y seguimos en el camino hacia Madrid, que va quedando menos, solo 77 días!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Yolanda! La verdad es que me lo pase pipa "volando" por Disneylandia. Y lo del iPhone, agggggg que rabia! Al RNR de Madrid llevo los mil y un cacharros electrónicos que si me pasa en una maraton entera me da algo.

      Delete
  9. Hola guapa!! felicidades por esa media!!! cómo os lo montáis eh!! que guayyyyy!! menudos disfraces jejeje
    En mi lista de "To Do" está en participar en alguna carrera organizada por Disney! y si dices que es lo mejor pues tendré que ir a alguna sí o sí :-)
    Lee esta entrada en el blog de Yolanda,
    http://lapinguinaveloz.blogspot.com/search/label/La%20Botica%20de%20la%20Ping%C3%BCina
    Este es el magnesio que estoy tomando, te lo recomiendo al 100%!!
    Muchos ánimos en esos entrenos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Tania! Si si si, vente pa' los "estates" que las como las carreras de Disney ninguna. Gracias por el ancla. Tengo que leer acerca del magnesio. Aquí se recomiendan bebidas deportivas con electrólitos que tienen a parte de magnesio, potasio, calcio y vitaminas. Y después a parte, los baños con los Epsom Salts ( no se como les llaman en España) son unas sales de sulfato de magnesio, pero no recomiendan ingerirlas con frecuencia ya que son laxantes :-) Bueno, voy a visitar la pagina de Yolanda. Gracias de nuevo!

      Delete
  10. Hola
    Llego a tu blog desde el de Yolanda
    Con tu permiso me paso por aquí
    Vaya carrera, esta es de las que hay que hacer. A ver si nos lo cuentas en Madrid el 22 de abril !!
    Saludos
    JUAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Juan! Muchisimas gracias por la visita blogero!

      Delete
  11. Ese acontecimiento es toda una fiesta, ademas de lo mas original por los disfraces... el tuyo era muy cuco y te quedaba de maravilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias "abuelo runner"! Bueno la alas las dejare por aquí que si me las llevo a Madrid doy el canto, no? jajaja. El Maraton de Sevilla a la vuelta de la esquina. Are you ready? :-)

      Delete
  12. Hola, la verdad es que no tenía asociado la competición con Disney pero después de ver tus fotos me ha encantado, y seguro que la Goofy tiene que estar fenomenal. En una San Silvestre de hace tres años vi a un grupo de tinkerbells con alitas verdes, tules y transparencias ... eran diez tíos.
    Respondiendo a tus comentarios en mi blog te diré que la "moda" del barefoot está llegando a España, pero de un modo muy residual. Las five fingers se conocen, las Newton no se ven nunca. Las marcas están sacando modelos minimalistas pero su uso en competición está poco generalizado, aunque si veo una tendencia a rehusar modelos con exceso de amortiguación.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Los de Disney se organizan muy bien. La carrera de Goofy son 63.24 km, es media maraton el sábado seguida de una maraton completa al dia siguiente :-0 Algún día, la haré. Que divertido lo que me cuentas de la San Silvestre y los tios vestidos de Tinkerbell. Uy, el pelete que tuvieron que pasar.

      En cuanto a los modelos de zapas, aquí en San Diego se ven muchos corredores con los VFF, los Merrell e incluso descalzos. Esto ultimo no se yo. Se ha puesto de "moda" a raíz de la publicación del famoso libro "Born To Run" de Christopher McDougal. Es un libro buenísimo, te lo recomiendo, aunque la técnica de correr descalza no me acaba de convencer. Pregunta - otra cosa que es muy popular entre los corredores es comer muchas semillas de Chia por su alto contenido de Omega3. Ahí se habla de eso?

      Delete