Thursday, January 19, 2012

YESSSS, Feeling Victorious!

Last Sunday, I ran the Nike+ Virtual Half Marathon. I ran it for a couple of reasons: 1) To benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, 2) For fun and, 3) The finisher's bracelet.


My virtual half was cold but nice. I finished in 2:20:19. Not bad considering that this was my last day on the juice fast! I talked more about it in my previous post. Check it out! You don't want to miss my delicious juices :-)


Then yesterday, Nike made a big announcement:

"Thousands of women came together as one this past weekend for the Nike+ Women's Half Marathon. Over 75 teams were formed, and one came out... VICTORIOUS. Over 1000 women joined this team, and for that they'll be rewarded! Welcome to NWM SF 2012. That's right, NO lottery".

YES, my Team Victorious made it! I am so happy.


For those of you that don't know, what's cool about this race (besides running in the streets of San Francisco with spectacular views) is that all runners get a Tiffany necklace as the finisher medal.


I was planning on running the Chicago Marathon this year but since the NWM is the week after, I have decided to go for this one instead. Now the question is: 13.1 or 26.2? Decisions, decisions! If you are reading this and you've ran both the NWM half and full, I'd love to hear from you. Any recommendations? I am worried about the hills.

Woo Hoo, San Francisco here I come!

11 comments:

  1. Enhorabuena! Por disfrutar corriendo y colaborando con una buena causa. Ah, y por la pulsera, es muy chula! (¿o debería decir cool? jeje)
    Lo que me da una envidia tremenda es que allí haya tanta mujer corredora. Nada que ver con el triste porcentaje de participación de las mujeres aquí en España.

    Si no te he entendido mal, ¿te estas planteando correr una maratón y una semana después una media maratón? En mi humilde y poco experimentada opinión creo que es un poco locura, no?

    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Yolanda! A ver si te vienes a los "estates" a correr. Como la maratón de Nueva York no hay ninguna!!

      En la ultima media maratón del RNR San Diego éramos el 60% mujeres el 40% hombres. En la Mapoma por lo visto el 90% eran hombres. Que fuerte! Vamos a estar solitas!! Me imagino que cambiara un poquitín con el RNR, no lo sé. Creo que en la "Nike Women's Marathon" seremos el 90% mujeres. Me estoy planteando si hacer la NWM 13.1 o la 26.2 <- en millas la distancia no resulta tan escalofriante, verdad? :- ) El “problem” es que las cuestas en San Francisco me asustan :-0 En cuanto a Chicago, me iba a apuntar al maratón pero creo que no lo voy a hacer porque no tengo suficiente tiempo para descansar el cuerpecito. Bueno, quizás me toque la lotería de la maratón de Nueva York y sino me apunto a otra.

      Por cierto, el RNR de Madrid va a ser mi segundo maratón. Me gustaría correr 2 maratones al año ¡Vamos a ver! ¿ Y tu?

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the entry into NWM2012! I think the half will be more fun. I've never done this race but I heard that the full is just drawn out and not all that interesting. SF is a great city so don't forget to go out and eat some great food while you are there.

    Nike always seem to have the most unique race "medals".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madison! I might do the half! BTW, when I think of SFO, I think of AMAZING food. My favorite vegetarian restaurants are there, including "Cafe Gratitude" and "Gracias Madre". If you have any other veggie recommendations, let me know.

      Delete
  3. Pues muchas gracias por visitar mi blog, se agradece, yo con tu permiso me quedo por aquí para seguir el tuyo... veo cosas interesantes, como los jugos,mirare de que se trata... supongo que sera para perder peso no?, igual hasta lo hago yo y me pongo manos a la obra.
    Pues si este año are Maratón Sevilla y Barcelona... para luego hacer una ultra y cavalls al vent, una prueba dura dura... en la cual abandono el año pasado Kilian Jornet, campeón del mundo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por la visita, "abuelo runner". Me encanta el nombre de tu blog. Yo soy una "mami runner" :-) Lo de los jugos se me ocurrió tras ver el documental "Reboot Your Life" ( http://jointhereboot.com). Esta bien y me lo pase pipa sacando fotos pero no repito ni lo aconsejo a personas que quemen mas de 1000 calorías diarias haciendo ejercicios. Lo hice el plan “detox” pero yo creo que mejor fecha para una limpieza intestinal es la primavera.

      ¡Que envidia que vas a correr la Maratón de Sevilla y Barcelona! A mi me encantaría hacerlo alguna vez. De momento me toca la de Madrid. ¡Vamos a ver! Saca muchas fotos que de eso nos alimentamos los que estamos al otro lado del charco :-) En cuanto a Cavalls al Vent he visto fotos pero de gente que ha recorrido el Camino de Santiago. Es impresionante ¿De cuantos km es esa ultra?

      Delete
  4. Well done!!

    There should be more races which give out Tiffany necklaces :-)

    Hmmmm I wonder if I can track one down in Europe that does something similar......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. I agree! If you track anything similar in Europe, pleeeease let me know :-) I don't know if you ever read "Great Races, Incredible Places: 100+ Fantastic Runs Around the World". There are so many cool races in Europe ( besides the big ones [ London, Berlin, Paris] ). I want to do the Marathon du Medoc one day ( 26.2-mile race and wine tasting tour through the most famous vineyards of France) or the Verdi Marathon, traveling through Italian villages while listening to Giuseppe Verdi. Ok, I might be romanticizing this. It's a 26.2 miles after all :-) The book is good if you haven't read it.

      Delete
  5. Love your bracelet! and congrats! I ran the nike womens full in 2006 and really didn't like the 2nd half of the course. If I were to run it again I'd do the half. The out and back along the great highway at the end and around Lake merced was boring and cold. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Monika! I am taking your advice and signing up for the half instead. I've been also reading race recaps and all I hear is "oh that Lake MerSHit' ".

      Delete
  6. That is pretty cool that you got a free entry! NWM is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete