According to a famous African-American proverb,"Life is short and full of blisters". I take it literally. This is the week when my feet went from moderately sexy to "ouch, disgusting, you must be a runner". I have blisters on both of my big toes. I also have two black toenails. I could post pictures but I don't want to scare anyone away.
I am not a BIG fan of petroleum-based products. Therefore, I've been looking for natural alternatives. The first recommendation came from a friend, a product called Bag Balm.
I was very excited about this product until I read the instructions on how to use it on cows. The small tin box reads "For chapped conditions and superficial abrasions. After each milking apply thoroughly and allow coating to remain on surface. This protective ointment helps to keep superficial tissue moist and soft"
How gross! Poor cows! Forget about it! Besides, it's not all natural, as many people believe. The active ingredients are 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic) in a petroleum jelly USP and lanolin base.
Next product, Body Glide. I use this on my half marathons but never on my feet. I am going to give it a try on my next long run. It's a "non-greasy, non-messy, and a petroleum-free formula designed for pure comfort".
In the meantime, I am taking into consideration other recommendations:
- Skin Food, a biodynamic product manufactured by Weleda. It is a rich moisturizer that smells incredibly good.
Ingredients (INCI)
Water (Aqua), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lanolin, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Alcohol, Beeswax (Cera Flava), Glyceryl Linoleate, Hydrolyzed Beeswax, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Viola Tricolor (Pansy) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Matricaria (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Cholesterol, Limonene*, Linalool*, Geraniol*, Citral*, Coumarin
- Injinji socks.
I haven't tried yet but I can't imagine running with gloves on my feet. If you read this and you are in love with your Injinji, please drop me a note and tell me why they are so special to you.
- Spenco Medial Blister Kit & Blister Medic - Compact, waterproof case with assorted bandages, moleskin, adhesive, antibiotic ointments, and antiseptic towelettes. Sounds like a good temporary patch.
- New shoes in a bigger size. I am sure my shoes are the right size but I'll take them to the Road Runners store for a check.
As you can see, I spent a lot of time this week checking into foot blisters and how to treat them. I didn't run as much as I wanted to. However, the week ended on a high note as I PRed on my birthday at the Disneyland Half Marathon. Click HERE for the race recap.
This is my weekly summary:
| Mon: | REST |
| Tue: | Bikram Yoga at 6:30pm |
| Wed: | Bikram Yoga at 6:00am + 3 miles (hills) |
| Thu: | REST |
| Fri: | REST |
| Sat: | REST |
| Sun: | Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend |
| Total: | 16.1 miles + two 90-min BY classes |




If you can get over the fact that it's used on cows, the bag balm is the BEST! :)
ReplyDelete